This standard applies for any meter installations:
- Supplying natural gas or liquefied petroleum gas (LPG)
- MOP ≤ 7 bar
- With a volume not exceeding 1 m3
- Having a method of temporarily sealing the outlet of the installation/section
- Not including polyethylene pipe or fitting
- Which is not within the scope of IGEM/UP/1B.
It covers pneumatic strength and tightness testing, along with direct purging. It covers testing in the following circumstances:
- Prior to a new installation being commissioned with gas
- Where a leak is suspected to exist on an existing installation
- Where a new section has been added into an existing installation
- Where there has been a complete loss of pressure, for any reason.
It covers direct purging in the following situations:
- New installation
- Alteration to, replacement of, or reuse of, an existing installation
- Where there has been a complete loss of pressure for any reason
- Where there is the possibility of air being present in an installation
- Where an installation is to be taken temporarily or permanently out of service.
Having a method of temporarily sealing the outlet of the installation/section, for example a valve, blanking device, etc.
GEM/UP/1C recommends that if an installation is within scope of IGE/UP/1B then IGE/UP/1B should be used. This applies whether or not there is a means of isolation on the outlet.
IGEM/UP/1C is most useful for those meter installations that have a means of isolation on the outlet, are out of scope of IGE/UP/1B and where there is no desire to test the installation pipework downstream of the meter installation.
In the main IGEM/UP/1C is aimed at those who undertake meter installation/replacement work e.g Meter Asset Managers.