This standard covers the actions to be undertaken by organisations and staff that may, in the normal course of their duties, be involved in detecting and/or dealing with gas escapes safely. Primarily it deals with gas escapes from natural gas piped supplies and systems. Specifically, it details the:
- Legal and allied considerations, such as the Gas Act and Pipelines Safety Regulations
- Procedures and communication
- Actions on site in response to suspected gas escapes, including measuring and monitoring gas concentrations and repairing the source of the gas escape
- Safe working practices such as migration of gases and identification of potential ignition sources
- Gas escapes from non-gas transport networks, including identification of gases
- Information on landfill biogas.