Our team of dedicated staff is based at IGEM House located in the village of Kegworth in the East Midlands. They are supported by an extensive network of volunteer gas professionals.
Technical Standards Officer
Currently, we’re looking for a new Technical Standards Officer. As a part of our team, you’ll be involved in shaping the standards that are making our gas industry safer and more effective. Based at our office in Kegworth, you’ll be responsible for drafting, editing and proofreading our standards so an appetite for precision is necessary. You’ll also have excellent verbal and written skills, which will be essential when communicating with IGEM stakeholders and the other members of your team.
You’ll be talking to senior technical representatives in the gas industry on a daily basis and will contribute to the future of gas and in creating a sustainable decarbonised future. Ideally, you’ll have a gas industry background, but more importantly you’ll be able to juggle numerous projects at once, be a stickler for detail and be comfortable managing people on our technical panels. You must be degree qualified or equivalent in an Engineering or Science discipline.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Technical standards drafting, editing and proofing in preparation for publishing.
- Preparing responses to technical enquiries, following the relevant process, engaging the relevant technical expertise or where non-technical compiling the response.
- Provide support for IGEM technical committees and panels as required. To include but not limited to; coordination of calendars, general administration, agendas, notes, papers etc.
- Carry out the general administration of Technical Services.
- Planning and progressing of new initiatives as required.
- Attend internal and external meetings as directed by the Head of Technical Services
- Perform other tasks which are commensurate with the post.
- Supporting other team members when necessary to ensure that deadlines are met.
- Supporting the wider IGEM secretariat in the promotion and marketing of IGEM activities, standards, exhibitions, conferences etc.
- Provide technical writer support for IGEM publications.
- Be able to write in a clear and concise manner using plain accurate English.
- Be qualified with a degree or equivalent in an engineering or science discipline
- Utilises a courteous and helpful manner when dealing with members other stakeholders and the general public.
- Computer skills that include, Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- An ability to communicate at all levels using various types of media.
- An enthusiastic and proactive team member with the ability to work under own volition when necessary.
- Ability to be able to travel with the potential for overnight stays.
- The post-holder is expected to represent IGEM in a professional manner in relation to his or her responsibilities and in ensuring their own continuing professional development.
- The post-holder is expected to conduct their work in a manner consistent with upholding the values of the organisation.
- The post-holder is expected to undertake such duties appropriate to the grade, as required.
- All employees are responsible for records held, created or used as part of their work for IGEM including corporate and administrative records whether paper-based or electronic, which also includes emails.
- Records should be managed and stored appropriately and should in all cases comply with the requirements of the Data Protection Act. Employees should have read and understood IGEM’s Data Management Policy and should follow all agreed records management procedures, seeking advice where necessary.
IGEM is proud to be an equal opportunities employer.
How to Apply
To apply, email your CV and cover letter to Ian McCluskey, Head of Technical & Policy at email@example.com.
Our network of knowledgeable and experienced volunteers is critical to the activities we undertake. We are always happy to hear from individuals interesting in becoming involved. For details of our various volunteer opportunities visit the ways to volunteer page.
Find all of the latest gas, engineering and management vacancies on our job board Get into Gas.