The 2020 Gas Industry Awards were postponed until 2021. All 2020 nominations have been carried over to the 2021 competition and no new entries will be able to enter. Click here to view the shortlist.
The event, jointly organised by EUA and IGEM, recognises and rewards the outstanding achievements of individuals and businesses working across the gas industry. The rescheduled award ceremony, which will be virtual for the first time in its history, will be followed by a virtual networking session and will take place on 18 May. Free places for the virtual event are available to book now at www.gasindustryawards.com.
Our guest speaker this year is Jonathan Brearley, CEO, Ofgem.
Jonathan Brearley became Ofgem's Chief Executive Officer on 3 February 2020. This follows his previous appointment as our Executive Director for Systems and Networks in April 2018.
He has wide-ranging energy sector experience, having led Electricity Market Reform as the Director for Energy Markets and Networks at DECC. Prior to this, he was Director of the Office of Climate Change, a cross-government strategy unit focussed on climate change and energy issues, where he led the development of the Climate Change Act. Earlier in his career, Jonathan was a senior adviser in the Prime Minister’s Strategy Unit.
He holds a Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics and Physics from Glasgow University and a Master’s degree in Economics from the University of Cambridge.
Television presenter Dallas Campbell will compere the virtual event on 18 May.
Dallas is one of the most versatile and well-travelled factual presenters working in the industry.
His presenting career started with The Gadget Show and Bang Goes the Theory and he recently presented Positive Energy on National Geographic, where he travelled the globe meeting the innovators that are creating new ways to power the world in the future.
He has filmed in some of the most extraordinary and challenging locations all over the world: sewer diving in Mexico City, abseiling off the world's tallest building in Dubai, and filming BAFTA nominated Stargazing Live, which broadcast Astronaut Tim Peake’s rocket launch to the international space station live from Kazahkstan.
Dallas is an Honorary Fellow of the British Science Association and regularly judges their annual Young Scientist & Engineer of the Year awards. In 2014 he gave the Stoneley Lecture for the Petroleum Exploration Society of Great Britain. This year he won The Space Achievement Media Award at Sir Arthur Clarke Centenary Awards.
The shortlisted nominees are:
Company of the Year - Sponsored by Towngas
- SGN Natural Gas
- ULC Robotics
Customer Service Award
- The Orange Angels, Cadent’s Eastern network
- Customer Service Team, West Midlands, Cadent
- Emergency Service Team, Wales & West Utilities
Engineer of the Year
- David Butler, Head of Engineering, SGN Natural Gas
- James Hatt, Head of Operational Change, Morrison Energy Services
- Will Johnson, Technical Applications Director, ControlPoint
- David Rae, Project Manager, SGN
Innovation Award - Sponsored by SGN
- Development of a pure hydrogen boiler, Baxi Heating
- HyDeploy from the HyDeploy Consortium
- Virtual Trial Hole Assistant, Morrison Energy Services
Leadership Award - Sponsored by Cadent
- Maxine Long, Head of Metering, National Grid Metering
- Ernie McDonald, General Manager, Fernox
- Danny O’Malley, Director, SGN Natural Gas
Manager of the Year - Sponsored by Radius Systems
- Hilary Buxton, Director of Engineering, Cadent
- Julia Dwyer, Director, Cadent Foundation
- Omar Fayez Mohamed ElMahdy, Planning General Manager, Egypt Gas
- Richard Hynes-Cooper, Head of Innovation, Northern Gas Networks
Product of the Year - Sponsored by Morrison Energy Services
- C55 Asset Investment Planning and Management developed by Copperleaf Technologies in collaboration with Northern Gas Networks, National Grid Transmission and SGN
- Mechanical Purge End Fitting developed by Plasson in collaboration with Cadent and ROSEN
- Microstop developed by Ravetti in collaboration with SGN and Pipeline Technology
- ServiceCam developed by Synthotech
Project of the Year
- Albert Court Gas Mains Replacement delivered by tRIIO
- Asset Investment Planning project undertaken by National Grid Gas Transmission
- Gas to the West undertaken by SGN Natural Gas in collaboration with Mutual Energy
- Green City Vision undertaken by Wales & West Utilities and Progressive Energy in collaboration with Scottish & Southern Electricity Networks (SSEN) and UK Power Networks (UKPN)
- OSS Project undertaken by Lagoni Engineering in collaboration with National Grid Gas Transmission
Safety Award - Sponsored by GISG
- Balfour Beatty’s Gas Distribution Strategic Partnership - West Midlands Contract Area
- Gas Networks Ireland’s Design Safety Initiative
- Wales & West Utilities’ Demanding Safety Always
Young Person’s Achievement Award - Sponsored by Wales & West Utilities
- Gulraj Chatha, Engineering Manager, Assurance & Compliance, Cadent
- Tom Cliffe, Project Lead/GIRS Designer, D&G Utilities
- Megan Dudley, Customer Service Agent, National Grid Metering
- Christopher Stamp, Senior Pipeline Inspector, R&L Project Services
- Joseph Stamp, Senior Pipeline Inspector, R&L Project Services
Visit our Gas Industry Awards 2021 pages for more information.